In this update: our monthly points and miles activity, a YouTube update/excuse, some recent blog posts, and some minor travel news.
Household Points and Miles Activity for May
It was a pretty uneventful month for points earning/using. Here’s how we did:
- earned 738 hotel points
- earned 2,941 Chase Ultimate Rewards
- redeemed 80,000 Marriott points for a $1,061 hotel stay
I apologize for the delay in officially launching the ValueTactics YouTube channel. All the standard excuses apply: lots of kids, busy at work, busy working on house, etc. I also need to acquire a halfway-decent microphone, which I have been putting off.
I will do my best to have the channel launched by the next semi-monthly update. I know some of you really are anxiously waiting for this thing to develop. After all, who wants to expend all that effort reading when you could just zone out and stare at a video?
New ValueTactics Blog Posts
– Our Hawaiian Get-Away 2016 is the main page for the amazing, value-packed trip we took in September. This post explains exactly how we planned the free nights and airfare, and how the plan all pieced together. You can also find links to individual hotel reviews here.
– The Mistake that Cost me a $690 Hotel Room is the cautionary tale on how I *almost* booked a sweet free room to cap off our anniversary trip to Europe. Free travel is a fickle thing, and deals can slip through your fingers if you’re not careful. Read this post for some tips on how not to make the same mistake as I did!
– Hotel Review: Maui Seaside Hotel is my review (with lots of pictures) of the “burner” night we spent right after landing in Kahului on Maui. This was the only hotel on the trip we didn’t use points to book.
I only have some tiny news to report on the travel front. I’ll be traveling for business for a couple days in Grand Rapids, MN. I look forward to this trip every year and I’m excited that I reserved my room early and had my choice of hotels. I got into what is hands down the best hotel in town, the Timberlake Lodge. This place is head and shoulders above the rest of the in-town options. You can read my review of the Timberlake Lodge here.
Now you’re updated. Go employ some Value Tactics!