Here we are – the last update of 2017. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! We’re in the post-holiday lull as far as credit card offers are concerned; not much noteworthy to report on that front. Personally we have a few important “keep or cancel” decisions to make soon, including Nicoleen’s $450 annual fee Chase Sapphire Reserve.
In this update: I’ll report our extensive December points and miles activity and give an update on Nicoleen’s and my upcoming travel plans. We’ll cap it off with a holiday message.
Household Points and Miles Activity for December
It was a busy month for points transfers and redemptions! Here’s the breakdown:
- earned 53,468 airline miles
- earned 108 hotel points
- earned 2,527 Chase Ultimate Rewards
- earned 125 “other” points
- transferred 6,000 Ultimate Rewards to World of Hyatt points
- redeemed 51,000 “other” points for $510.00
- redeemed 15,000 World of Hyatt points for a one-night stay at Andaz Papagayo (valued at $1,003.73)
- booked a two-night stay at the Andaz Papagayo with annual free night certificates from our Chase Hyatt cards – lodging worth $1,857.44 (after accounting for $75 annual fee x2)
- booked a one-night stay at the Dallas Airport Marriott with annual free night certificate from my [now cancelled] Chase Marriott Rewards card – lodging worth $164.44
- redeemed 60,000 American Airlines miles for airfare worth $1,582.76
- received $166.24 in travel expense reimbursement from Nicoleen’s Chase Sapphire Reserve
That hefty airline miles number is thanks my Cathay Pacific Visa card; the 50,000 mile bonus finally hit. The cash redemption was from my Bank of America Premier card. All those travel related points redemptions are for our upcoming winter get-away!
Nicoleen and I are so excited to go back to Costa Rica! Yes, yes. . . I know it’s kind of lame to go to such an interesting and varied country and then sit around at the pool and beach the whole time. But hey – we need that kind of a break! Even though it’s basically repeat of our get-away last winter, this trip is unique in one major way. Between airfare, luxury accommodations, and ground transportation, the total out of pocket cost for this trip is $0.00! That’s a first for this value tactician!
Recent ValueTactics Blog Posts
– Winter Vacation Plans Revealed is the answer to the teasers I put on Facebook for a few days about the location of our next trip.
Free Travel Photo
Now you’re updated. Go employ some Value Tactics!