In this update: new blog posts, some heavy hitting credit card news, our July points activity report, and a bit of travel news. . .
In the last update I mentioned having almost a million points and miles stored up. In July I offloaded a nice chunk of those. Here’s our monthly activity for July:
- earned 2,439 airline miles
- earned 2,088 “other” points
- earned 274 Chase Ultimate Rewards
- redeemed 60,175 “other” points (Capital One cash back) for $601.75 cash
July free gas report: $21.49 in free gas, with an 18% discount running average for the year!
New ValueTactics Blog Posts
– Don’t Hoard Points discusses why it’s a liability to carry huge points and miles balances.
– SuperAmerica Stops Double Coupon Tuesdays analyzes the news that Double Coupon Tuesdays are being discontinued at the end of the month. This development is a perfect example of why you shouldn’t hoard points!
– Card Review: Chase Ink Plus takes a look at one of the heavy hitting cards from Chase. It’s a business card, but you may still be eligible for it. Read the review to find out more! The current 60,000 point bonus is well worth your consideration.
I added a pretty new page featuring current credit card offers. I also updated a few posts to reflect the current state of bonus promotions for credit cards. Looks like the free gas tactics page will also need some tweaking after this recent news hit.
Credit Card News
All the buzz right now is about a rumored new card from Chase, the Sapphire Reserve. The card will supposedly come with a hefty $450 annual fee but if the rumors are even mostly true, the benefits will be well worth the fee. Several bloggers have done posts on this card, but the most recently updated one is from Milevalue. Click here to read that post.
Nicoleen and I are getting more and more excited for our upcoming trip to Maui! We got the car rental squared away and we’re crossing our fingers that Delta doesn’t totally melt down again and ruin our trip! We’ve also started preliminary plans for another warm weather trip for October 2017. More on that later. . .
ValueTactics reader Derek recently booked a trip with points and miles for him and his wife to stay at the Park Hyatt on Mallorca for a week in October.
It should be a pretty exciting trip, especially considering it’s almost free! We’ll get the full report from Derek after the vacation, including how he flew and stayed for free using value tactics!
Now you’re updated. Go employ some Value Tactics!